Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Living in Love and Fellowship

Getting together for family fellowship and fun is a longstanding tradition on Uncle Juba’s Lane, the name given to the pathway that leads to my dad’s house, our family “Home Place”, where love and rejuvenation of spirit are always guaranteed.  Birthdays and holidays are especially important, and such occasions call for the sideboard to be laden with a cornucopia of savory dishes—family favorites, staples from the garden cooked to perfection, delectable desserts—general good eating.  Doggie bags are a must, and a good time is always had by all.  If it’s your birthday, a birthday cake is always warranted, along with Breyers ice cream.  My mom and dad both planned and executed great family gatherings, where the menu and all preparations were filled with love, fun, and a long legacy of family tradition.  The legacy continues with my dad, the patriarch of the Jordan clan, and a wonderful dinner planned for Easter Sunday.

My mom set the example for being the quintessential dinner party hostess and left huge apron strings for us to tie.  One of her last missions before she passed was to have a birthday party to celebrate Jalen’s 3rd birthday.  She was determined that that was what she wanted to do for him even though she was very sick (none of us, including her I think, truly knew just how sick at the time).  One of the things she was determined to have was a birthday cake that looked like a fully rayed, bright yellow sun.  My sister said that getting the cones iced and arranged around the cake was the dickens, but the cake was awesome.  It was sunny yellow, with a huge happy face and candles.  I smile as I remember how in the primary grades, all of the suns that Jalen drew had cool faces—great big balls of orange and yellow with long rays and an impishly mean smile if he was having one of his “mad, bad, most horrible days”, or the huge, open smile with the big teeth and Blues Brothers-styled sunglasses on a happy day…  Jalen’s suns were really cool, and perhaps one of the happy memories his young mind associated with his grandma.  At least that’s the way I like to think about how the legacy of love rolls in the deep, to borrow from Adele.

When we get together now, my mom is still present in our hearts and touches of her are gathered together around our table.  She is always in our conversations between bites of food and guffaws of hooting laughter, and she is also there in loving, purposeful ways, like the place setting with the tea cup, plates, and charger all inverted but set grandly with all of the accoutrements, or a simple arrangement of tea roses from Mary’s Garden (the garden my dad grew for her one year as a Mother’s Day gift) in her favorite tea cup as the center piece.  She even shows up on the sideboard in the bowl of turnips sitting there, that none of us eat but my dad prepared because they were one of her favorites.  It is a legacy to her, a tribute of our love for her that will never die, the indelible lessons that she carved into our hearts and souls in her undying love for her family, which she valiantly and fiercely fought to share until the end of her days on this Earth.  It is this spirit that fills the kitchen as we cook, nibble, dice, mix, and laugh about the good old days as we prepare to sit down to feast.

When we sit down to dinner in a couple of weeks, we will share in a traditional Jordan-style, Easter Sunday repast planned meticulously by my dad. My sister and I will be helping him so that he will not have the burden and labor of having to fix everything, even though in his plans he has taken on the bulk of the meal—baked ham, a baked hen with gravy and dressing, macaroni and cheese, potato salad, and a lemon Bundt cake.   Yes, my dad can burn in the kitchen, even in his golden years, 78 moons strong (I hope he doesn’t mind me sharing that tidbit of information, but such a long life is a wished for blessing by many, one to always celebrate with abundant thankfulness.).  To add to the feeling of fellowship, the dinner menu and the recipes used to prepare the dishes often come from my mom’s cookbooks, equally shared between the two of them throughout their marriage.  My dad has his clipped recipes and handwritten notes for things that he cooks tucked right along beside her notes and concoctions for family delights at the dinner table.  I am already thinking about the bomb diggity macaroni and cheese my dad makes from a recipe that he got from G. Garvin’s cooking show, “Turn Up the Heat”.  Bam!  My taste buds are already piqued in anticipation.

My dad sent us a letter with all of the menu needs, along with his notes and suggestions.  According to his instructions, we divvied up the remaining dishes.  My sister is preparing a sausage queso dip with some Scoops chips, fresh cut pineapple chunks, and cantaloupe or honey dew slices as the pre-dinner nosh.  She also is fixing deviled eggs, following our mom’s recipe, always delicious and presented beautifully with the paprika sprinkled on top, each one neatly nestled in Mommee’s pretty white dish with the gold colored stripe around the perimeter, made just for deviled eggs.  My mom was always one for elegant touches and flourishes, and my sister carries on her tradition well, even donning one of mom’s aprons while she is in the kitchen.  My sister is the neat, dainty one, just like my mother, while I tend to be like a bull in a china shop as I cook, mixing, pouring, and spilling just as easily as I “put my foot in it” as I whip up my contributions to the feast.  I am forever the clumsy one, always electrified around the edges, laughing and joking, and keeping the kitchen lively.   But as I clean up my prep scraps and wipe away the things I spilled, the aroma of what I have prepared will fill the house—an old-fashioned corn pudding, a pot of fresh string beans, turnip greens (which I have never cooked before), and my famous fancy punch, so easy to make and always swilled to the last punch bowl drop.  We gave the easiest task to my brother, Patrick—bring the Sister Schubert rolls, which are a good, but paling-in-comparison compromise to the homemade rolls that traditionally have graced our table.

I am kind of nervous about the turnip greens, which I confess I don’t like as much as collard greens, but it is what Daddee wrote as the menu choice, and my sister and I did not deviate from his instructions, not one iota.  I started to call him up and ask him how to fix them, as I have never cooked turnip greens before, but instead I decided that I will try to surprise him and prepare them without having to burden him with having to fuss with giving instructions to me over the phone (as our phone conversations go with him straining to understand me as his hearing wanes, hence the ease and practice of the art of letter writing).  The little girl inside of me forever wants to please her father in return for all that he has always selflessly given to me.  I think that I have found a recipe online, on a deep southern cooking blog site that based on the directions, ingredients, and accompanying picture, is going to give me a dish that I will not be ashamed to put out on the sideboard.  The recipe does seem very Southern and down home, and looks like it will fit in well with the Jordan style of cooking.  We will be having a test run for tonight’s supper, to see if my turnip greens will be up to snuff to be presented on the Jordan sideboard with the other family favorites.  If my turnip greens do not turn out well, then I will be swallowing my pride, and calling Jordan, who serves as an acoustic conduit for Grampa’s phone messages, for him to get the family recipe for me to follow to the letter.  The legacy of love and fellowship on Uncle Juba’s Lane is alive and well, blessed with love and filled with fun. 

I close out today’s post with a song, traditionally sung as a part of the devotions and prayer that begin our Jordan family gatherings:

                                                   Blest be the tie that binds,
                                                   Our hearts in Christian love.
                                                   The fellowship of kindred minds,
                                                   Is like to that above.



 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment