Thursday, April 17, 2014

Expressing Myself


Among other things, April is National Poetry Month and also Tax Day.  At the same time, the recent ruling by the Supreme Court, the highest court in the land that is supposed to ensure the blessings of liberty for us all, passed legislation that equates in my mind the idea that “if you want to play, you’ve got to pay”.  And even more importantly, the voice of a “Regular Joe Ella” like me gets shuffled to the shadows, and doesn’t even seem to be heard.  I feel like my voice is being silenced, reduced, made to count only 3/5 as much, or perhaps not at all (WHICH WILL NEVER, EVER HAPPEN AS LONG AS MY BODY HAS BREATH AND I AM IN MY RIGHT MIND).  But I have been feeling the pain of the penchant by some to turn back the clock to a time when life was made purposefully and strategically hard by sharecropping, by Jim Crow, by disenfranchisement, by violence in the still of the night, and by the “eyes blind to the ways” in stark daylight.  The resurrection of identified hate groups in the state of NC stands at a whopping 33.  There are those of the upper crust clamoring for the poor and struggling to “kiss the ground that they walk on” and give them a parade that pays homage to their wealth and the fact that they throw us a couple of crumbs from their sumptuous tables.  There are even cries for no minimum wage at all, and that the peasants are “free” to work for $3-4 an hour (or did they mean a day, as in the past that is longed for when life was good?).  All of this regressive longing for nostalgic days which were nightmares for others stirs and grinds in my mind as I wrestle with the idea of our great democracy being quietly and systematically turned into an oligarchy, also golden during a time long ago.   

My mind flipped back to a book I read in graduate school at NCSU, James Agee’s, Let Us Now Praise Famous Men.  The class, about the autobiography, was a graduate level English class, taught by Dr. Lucinda McKeithan, an extraordinary, challenging professor from whom I learned so very much.  The class was hard, but I really enjoyed it, and worked my tail off to get that A-, of which I was sooooo proud of earning.  Most of the students in the class were writers and English majors, some already with MFA degrees and published work, and I often felt inadequate and small in comparison.  I love to write, and I read a lot, but I came to the class with an undergraduate degree in Speech Communication, not English, and NCSU’s English department has the reputation of a stellar faculty of literary juggernauts.  But I do think that my writing skills are strong, especially when I can be expressive and pepper my thoughts with poetry in the form of free flowing thoughts.  The response to the chapter, “Money”, is what I slaved over for many hours one weekend.  It was three of the hardest paragraphs that I have birthed, and I still was not sure if it was the kind of writing that Dr. Mac wanted.  I remember reading in class that night; my voice was quiet but strong.  When I finished reading, the whole class clapped for me, the only person they clapped for that night.  Dr. Mac asked for a copy to keep.  I remember sitting there for a few minutes, stunned.  “They really liked it!”  I felt, for a moment, like a writer. 

In honor of National Poetry Month and Tax Day (that necessary evil, I mean duty, that is just as important as voting), I share that response with you.  I hope you enjoy; it is a peeling back of one of the many layers of my soul.
 
Gudger’s Final Thoughts
 
                    From dust I was born and to dust I return, kicking, spitting, cursing, swearing all the way.  I am the dust, made from dust, my dreams too are dry and dusty--now gone.  No home, no land, no mule, no money--nothing to show for my years of hard work.  I was cheated, never even having enough extra to buy my wife a pretty dress, even though she wouldn’t want it, doesn’t know how to be pretty no more.  Crying tears of sand, silent, sobless, now she will toil even more the hard.
          I paid you back (and then some) for everything you gave me on credit--unfairly, begrudgingly, sneakily benevolent--knowing while my family shivers and sags in the fierce January winter, ground too hard even to scratch up a knobby root for an almost soup, yours will be feasting on the meat and gravy of my family’s hard labor, of your thumb pressed on the scale as I bought my seed on faith. 
          We lie on the floor, bodies pressed together like a set of coarse wooden spoons, trying desperately to keep warm beneath the snow that drifts into our sleep and upon our weary heads.  I couldn’t go away, and try again, because I owe and am now too tired to fight.  I rest.  I am the dust, where cotton no longer grows.
June 16, 2004
In response to “Money” (101-03), from Let Us Now Praise Famous Men, James Agee


No comments:

Post a Comment